Monday, April 7, 2014

Walking into a Wall- General Biz Rant

Do you ever feel as if you keep running into a wall?  Like no matter what you come up with as your next service or product, it just isn't good enough?  I do, all the time.  I actually think that I have blocked so many great ideas for fear of failure.  I'm not going to lie, I don't have time/money to 'experiment' but what if...just what if I could risk it all and see where that idea takes me.  Women and men tend to business differently, we risk differently and we lead differently.  Why is that?  What is the difference between men and women....(grow up, we covered sex-ed in elementary)   I will not speak for all women and for the sake of this blog I have not researched the differences between women entrepreneurs and men entrepreneurs.  From experience looking back at all my business partners the men jump in with both feet without parachutes, why? Because I'm in the background ready to catch them if they fail.  The woman is the safety net but the woman has no safety net for herself.  Are we wired so that we nurture and care for everyone else around us in every way including in business?  Why can't we just disconnect the maternal nurture hard-wire for just a minute and do business like men?  I would love to jump higher and into deeper coves than my previous partners have and see where it leads me.  I would love to see just how far I can go without hesitation, without fear and without a care in the world if I have a parachute or not.  I want to be the next Jobs, the next Stewart, the next Zuckenberg.

Another thing my previous business partners do is that they promise the impossible.  Many times promising the impossible blows up in their faces and I used to be so annoyed to have to deal with angry customers or investors because the promises were empty, but in most cases those promises were also a way to light themselves and our team on fire in order to maintain a deadline in which to make the impossible possible.  In the end the majority of the time we were able to keep the promises but not only that, we would 'wow' our client or customers.  I can't bring myself to do that, in the back of my head promising something I can't deliver is unethical and bad business, but whether he believes in himself that much or leaves the rest of the team to pick up the slack, is that unethical?  To this day I still wonder which one was it.  Did he believe in himself that much that he could promise the impossible, or did he know we (I) would pick up the slack and slave until the impossible was possible?  If it's the former, I want to learn to bring that self confidence out of hiding and use it daily to bring my ideas to light, but if it's the latter I need to find a strong team that will work with me and carry my business to the next level.

How can one disconnect that maternal nurture and be a complete risk taker without fear?  How can a woman adapt the traits that men exhibit when doing business?

(Edit)
Quickie list of links I found on several sites/blogs/articles)
Differences Women/Men
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/the-hot-button/turns-out-men-and-women-really-do-think-differently-study-finds/article15739805/
http://www.itbusinessedge.com/blogs/from-under-the-rug/are-female-and-male-ceos-wired-differently.html

No comments:

Post a Comment